I'm only through the first 18 chapters, so this isn't a comprehensive list, but I want to put down my thoughts before I forget them.
A few general observations from the first 9 chapters:
- Solomon exhorts his son(s) over and over in the first 9 chapters about heeding his words and instruction [main theme]
- The warnings against the forbidden woman are numerous and detailed
- Wisdom is to be pursued and loved -- there are manifold benefits to be gained from her
- Those who are happy in their ignorance are scorned
A few proverbs that have stuck out to me (chapters 10-14):
- Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it. (3:27) How often do I put off doing something thoughtful or kind for someone and then forget about it? Or am just too lazy to get off my behind and do something nice for my husband or kids? This is definitely something I want to teach my children.
- Do not plan evil against your neighbor, who dwells trustingly beside you. (3:29) This is in contrast to Jesus' command to love your neighbor as yourself.
- Do not contend with a man for no reason, when he has done you no harm. (3:30) This is especially pertinent to me, when the kids are on my last nerve, I can sometimes take it out on my husband because I don't want to take it out on them!
- There are six things that the LORD hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers. (6:16-19) I think these are great verses to teach children -- pretty much sums up the life that I DON'T want my kids to live.
- Do not desire her beauty in your heart, and do not let her caputre you with her eyelashes; for the price of a prostitute is only a loaf of bread, but a married woman hunts down a precious life. (6:25-26) A good verse that can be used to talk to them about sexual purity and the value of marriage.
- Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid. (12:1) Probably not the best verse to give to them after a spanking (because really, who loves to be spanked?), but the precept is good to instill into them.
- One pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth. (13:7) My brother-in-law once told me that when you don't have money, you want to buy things that make you feel like you do, even if you don't have the money for it.
- Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools with suffer harm. (13:20) An excellent verse to talk about and memorize before starting school!
- The fallow ground of the poor would yield much food, but it is swept away through injustice. (13:23) How much "food" would the poor yield if they were given the opportunities that the rich have (i.e., education, healthcare, etc.)?
1 comment:
I enjoy Proverbs quite a bit - especially the pairs of verses that talk about opposite sides of things (the whole 'this is good, this is bad').
"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid."I think that's such a great verse - b/c people who aren't open to being taught and corrected are never going to gain wisdom.
The fallow ground of the poor would yield much food, but it is swept away through injustice. So very sad but true.
The money verse you quoted could come straight out of Dave Ramsey.
Post a Comment