Before I had kids, one of the things that I most looked forward to was trucking them to all of their sports and sitting in the stands and cheering them on. Playing sports was of such import to my childhood that the thought that they might not be interested in sports was never seriously entertained, particularly as my husband was also involved in many sports growing up.
I was always somewhat of a tomboy growing up. Some of my earliest memories included a large red plastic bat and a proportionally large white plastic ball that my father would throw to me underhand, imploring me to hit it and showing me the correct posture and motions when I wouldn't. I learned to catch and throw at an early age and have never once been accused of "throwing like a girl." I played soccer until I got into high school and then softball and soccer were in the same seasons and I chose the former.
I really would like my children to play sports. Yes, I want them to play for health benefits (which seems to be much of the focus these days to counteract childhood obesity), but I want them to play because I think sports has much to teach children about working as a team, discipline, integrity, and character. I would love for them to play baseball/softball (my first love), but I am also very conscious of not pigeon-holing them into what I want them to do instead of letting them develop their own interests and gifts. And, of course, it's possible that they won't want to do any of it (though we will give them ample exposure and opportunity), in which case I will allow them to pursue the activity that they want to do.
I don't want to be that parent who lives vicariously through their child and is screaming at coaches to put her kid in or pushes her child to the point that they are not enjoying themselves any longer. I want my kids to develop their God-given abilities, whether that is art, music, drama (I have a good deal of certainty that particular one is not my son's gift), athletics, or all of the above. I'm excited to get to know better what their interests actually are. It does seem that my son enjoys sports so far, so I'm hopeful that I'll be attending those baseball games after all.
Of course, I do have plans to groom Ben to be a professional soccer player in Europe in order to get my husband to finally go there with me. But, if he doesn't make it that far, maybe I can still convince Chris to take me to Europe anyhow :)
3 comments:
I didn't know you were so into sports growing up! I think I remember when you and Chris played softball together though, right? It's interesting to hear your perspective b/c neither Nick nor I were ever really into sports, we were more into theater/drama/music/student government, so when I think about activities for our kids it's along those lines (with the exception of martial arts - I think it would be so fun for David and Geneva to take that).
I bet Ben will enjoy sports a lot though - it will be fun to see what he enjoys playing as he gets older!
i completely agree about what sports has to teach. they say kids in sports stay out of trouble and do better in school. i was remarking to jeff the other day how sports and team sports teach so many life lessons, like working hard, showing up on time, discipline, etc. i'm ok if my kids don't do sports, but i want each to do some extra curricular activities that teach the same things (whether it's dance, karate, music, whatever...i don't care as much).
LOL....Well, I think Andrew's already being "groomed" unintentionally by Ben because Ben coaches a soccer team of 9 to 11-year-olds and has been playing soccer since he could walk. Andrew's pretty darn good at dribbling down the field already, and he loves going to the games. I agree with what you said sports has to teach kids. I'd be okay if he wanted to throw himself into piano lessons or singing too, you know? He's into the singing part already but I'm the same way, I want him to do what he enjoys, not something that we're pushing him to do.
I dont want to make him grow up so fast, but I can't wait until he's 5 and can get enrolled in soccer camp here. I think he would love it.
Post a Comment