I started Weight Watchers this week. I have told a few people and the reaction is always the same "Why? You don't need to lose weight." Well, since weaning Caroline, I have gained about 5 lbs, 5 lbs that I'd like to lose again , plus a little extra as long as I'm paying for it :) When I'm nursing, I can eat whatever I want and lose weight. Unfortunately, since weaning, I have eaten whatever I want and put a few extra pounds on. I don't even really know how much I'm *supposed* to be eating (portion control is not my forte), and I'm hoping this will help me with that as well.
This is the first official "diet" (though I loathe that term) that I've been on. When I was in high school and always thought that I was fat (and when I look at pictures of myself in high school, I can't believe I ever thought that), I would put myself on a restricted diet whereby I would not allow myself to eat more than 10 grams of fat per day. I was also on the morning sickness diet, unwittingly. I've always had a negative body image, even when I was thin. I remember when I was 12 years old that I would watch the Miss America pageant and compare my prepubescent body to theirs and feel fat as a result.
I do not want to pass this negative body image onto my own daughter. So, I'm hesitant to do this in the first place, but I think that getting to a healthy weight and getting better eating habits will serve us all well. We eat pretty healthy as a family, with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, but we also use a lot of butter and full-fat dairy, so I should be more mindful of those things.
I am also doing this with my Mom, which I think will help motivate us both! It always helps me to do difficult things with other people, this or working out. Does anyone who has done Weight Watchers have any tips for me? I'm seeing how there is a very strong incentive to work out because of the extra food you can eat. I'd welcome any tips or recipes!
6 comments:
I have been doing WW since last March and it has really helped me. My family has never been known for healthy eating so I feel like I have learned alot from the curriculum and (I hate to admit it) the meetings. They are so cheesy, but helpful. Let's talk about it more on Sunday...
You should ask Ann about WW. She did it, and I think it worked out great. I did First Place at our church last year - not because I felt like I needed to lose weight, exactly - but because I felt like I didn't know what healthy eating is supposed to look like. The meetings and accountability were really helpful. I still haven't managed to totally change my eating habits (tonight I had Doritos and M&Ms while I watched TV - I don't want my kids to eat like that). But I'm learning to read labels at the grocery store and buy more fresh fruits and veggies.
And I did water aerobics with my friend Anita! Having a workout buddy was so important.
Here, I just joined a gym (can you believe it? who am I?) so I can take Zumba classes 2-3 times a week. I go with a friend here, and it's great.
Kindra, I'm a huge WW fan. I lost 35 lbs on it several years ago, before trying to have kids. Now I am use the principles of the program on and off to maintain weight (or get back to my goal weight after Christmas! :). It is a great program. I really like weighing myself and having that be the way I monitor my weight, rather than depending on how pants fit, etc. I like it that it is an objective number. And I really like the budget format of the program -- especially the flexpoints, and being able to have a nice meal or dessert or something without "going off" your diet.
That said, I do have some favorite tips! Have you tried Fiber One cereal? This is my favorite fiber cereal (tastes way better than All-Bran), and it is zero points for 1/2 cup. (It is reasonably priced at Target, and even better if you do an amazon subscription.) Very yummy with sliced strawberries on it. When I'm not strictly counting points to lose weight, I spoon a tablespoon of granola on it for extra texture. Also, Trader Joe's has some very yummy bread that we use for toast -- zero points. These are favorites for breakfast. We also really like Dove bars for special treats -- they are 6 points, which is nothing to sneeze at, but they are so good, and they have become our standard for quality. Would you rather have 4 Oreos, or save your points and have a Dove bar? Would you rather get a hamburger from McDonald's, or eat a salad with some grilled chicken and save your points and have a Dove bar?
I have lots more to say about food! But I'll stop here. We should get together soon -- I keep thinking about it! My kids have been sick so I haven't been doing many playdates. Hopefully soon!
Hey Kindra! WW is great. I lost 12 lbs on it before I got pregnant with Andrew and have lost 5 lbs so far and I've been doing it two weeks. (15 more to go to get to my "goal" weight, although I think my old pants will fit in about 8-10 lbs).
Definitely check out the "Food and Recipes" part of the website. I have a lot of recipes saved (I will msg you on Facebook with the names of them) that are really yummy.
I like:
- FIber One Caramel Delight cereal
- WW Giant Fudge Bars (1 pt)
- Skinny Cow Mini Dippers (chocolate dipped vanilla or mint ice cream sticks)
- Smart Pop popcorn
- Stonyfield Farm organic fat-free yogurt (tastes good without that fake sugar aftertaste of FF yogurts)
- mini cans of V8 juice help me get my veggies in
It's helped me plan meals better and cook more with fresh ingredients instead of processed stuff, too.
I have a hard time with sweets (can't eat just one ... like I mentioned about chocolate chip cookies) but I'm getting better!!
Forgot something!
www.dwlz.com has recipes and points for just about every restaurant meal imaginable.
Also like Ginas WW Recipes:
http://weight-watchers-points-recipes.blogspot.com/
I'm in the same boat as you. I am back to my pre-preg weight from Jesse, but between Jesse and Emma I gained 6 lbs (right when I stopped nursing Emma). Right now, I'm not dieting, just exercising and continuing to be mindful of what I eat. I think since I'm still nursing Jesse, I'm not quite ready to worry about counting calories. Good luck.
Post a Comment